Standardised DNA Damage quantitation with the CometAssay® Electrophoresis System
The comet assay (CometAssay®)
or single cell gel electrophoresis (SCGE) is a technique to easily and rapidly
quantitate DNA fragmentation associated with DNA damage caused by
apoptosis and cytotoxicity and can be used in the
field of genotoxicity testing, human biomonitoring, cellular response to DNA
damage, and for screening cancer therapeutics..
The complete standardized system of
CometSlides, reagents, control cells
and a specially designed electrophoresis
unit are lot tested and qualified to minimise inconsistencies in data
generated run-to-run, user-to-user, and lab-to-lab enabling a standardized DNA
(1) Cells are mixed with low melting point agarose and (2) immobilised
on CometSlides. (3) Cells are lysed to
remove membranes and DNA associated proteins before (4) alkaline treatment to
unwind and denature DNA. (5) During electrophoresis, damaged, unwound, relaxed DNA migrates out of the cell and can be visualized using
Click here for a comparison of Alkaline and Neutral comet assays
Please also see our FLARE (Fragment Length Analysis using
Repair Enzymes) add-on assays and consumables for the ability to detect the type of DNA
damage using DNA repair enzymes.
- CometAssay® Electrophoresis System
- An acrylic overlay on top of the elevated slide
tray maintains optimal buffer height for DNA migration.
- A constant buffer temperature is maintained using a
water chamber to cool the tempered glass slide platform and buffer chamber.
- Smoke grey colored unit minimizes exposure to UV light.
- Specially designed slide trays accommodate 2, 20 and
96 well slides and maintain proper slide orientation during electrophoresis.
- Highly reproducible results
- Multiple sample surfaces: 2 well, 20 well and 96 wells
- Allow direct
application of CometAssay LMAgarose without base layers or pretreatment.
- A hydrophobic barrier allows easy application of cells directly to slide, and treatment with any of several DNA repair enzymes.
- CometAssay® Control cells
- Four unsynchronized cell preparations with incremental increases of DNA damage
- Standardised to consistently produce comets
with pre-determined percentages of DNA damage
- CometAssay® Starter Kits
FLARE, CometAssay and CometSlide are trademarks of Trevigen, Inc.